Barb Brents provides evidence-based insights, on matters associated with her research on sexual commerce, Nevada’s legal brothels, and prostitution policy, and/or with her teaching in gender, sexuality and public policy.
If you are interested in having Barb Brents as an expert speaker, on your campus, in your bookstore, or at your NGO,
please first email Barb Brents, or call +1 702-895-3322.
Events & Lectures
- Cambridge University, United Kingdom: ‘Paying for Sex in the Digital Age’. Individuals in the Labour Market Reading Group, Cambridge, UK, October 17, 2019.
- University of California, Los Angeles: ‘Welcome to the Pornosphere: A Socio-Sexual Analysis of the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo, Las Vegas’. Department of Los Angeles, Jan 31, 2018. With Paul Maginn and Crystal Jackson.
- University of California, Santa Barbara: ‘Sin City’s Pornosphere: The AVN Adult Entertainment Expo and Porn Users/Fans Socio-Sexual Attitudes’. Department of Media Studies, Santa Barbara, January 30, 2018. With Paul Maginn and Crystal Jackson.
- Adult Entertainment Expo: ‘The Survey Says…Results from the 2017 AVN Survey’. Seminar Series, Jan. 24, 2018. With Paul Maginn and Crystal Jackson.
- Boston University School of Public Health: ‘Sexual Commerce in Neoliberal Times: Policy, Politics and Nevada’s Legal Brothels’. Dean’s Symposium, Understanding Commercial Sex Policy: A Global and US Perspective. Boston, MA, November 29, 2017.
- University of Missouri, Columbia: ‘Divestment from South Africa and the 1985 MU Shantytown Demonstrations’. Special Panel Presentation, Peace Studies Program, Columbia, Missouri, April, 2015.
- European Prostitution Policies EU COST Action: ‘Neoliberalism, prostitution, and the political economy of sex’. Plenary speaker, Troubling Prostitution Conference, Vienna, Austria, April 16, 2015.
- University of Missouri, Columbia: ‘The State of Sex: Nevada’s Legal Brothels and the Political Economy of Sex’. Noel P. Gist Distinguished Alumni Lecture, Department of Sociology, Columbia. 2015
- International Nursing Association: ‘The State of Sex: Culture, Sex Work and Nevada Brothel Prostitution’. Plenary Speaker, Las Vegas, March, 2012 (with Kate Hausbeck Korgan).
- Society for Anthropological Sciences & the American Anthropological Association: ‘The State of Sex: Nevada’s Legal Brothels.’ Plenary Speaker for the Society for Cross Cultural Research, Las Vegas, February 23, 2012.
- University of Leeds, United Kingdom: ‘Market morality, sexual politics and the business of sex’. Invited Plenary Speaker, Sexual Consumption in the City Conference, Leeds, U.K. April 3, 2011.
- University of Hartford: ‘Teaching Controversial Subjects: The Sex Industry and the Pornographication of Culture’. Distinguished Teaching Humanist Lecture, Hartford, CT, March 1, 2011.
- University of Utah: ‘The State of Sex’, Institute of Public and International Affairs, Public Lecture. Salt Lake City, Utah, March 5, 2010.
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality: ‘Culture and Sex Work: The Sexualization of Culture and Sex Work in the 21st Century’. Presidential Plenary Session, Annual Meetings, Las Vegas, November, 2006. With Kathryn Hausbeck, Stacey Swimme and Susan Lopez-Embury.
- New England School of Law: ‘Prostitution: Legalize, Decriminalize or Criminalize? A Panel Discussion’. Panel Debate, Boston, MA, April 13, 2006. With Kathryn Hausbeck.